Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eastern Market Debauchery: Sausage, Mussel and Squid Ink Fettucini





Fall is here! Summer air's soft edges are beginning to harden as winter approaches. Warty gourds and bags of waxy apples offer themselves to ogling Eastern Market go-ers. Young couples circle antiques. They quarrel over where one really could put that ostentatious secretary desk. Teenage girls cram toes into vintage pumps as they hand over eight crumpled, sweaty dollars from knock-off coach purses...and then there's me.

With exactly thirty eight minutes before the doors of Eastern Market closed I touched, sniffed, licked and scrutinized every piece of produce with the (obvious) goal of finding ingredients for THE ULTIMATE Sunday Night Meal. (Did I mention I still managed to find time to wolf down a crab cake sandwich with lemonade while on my quest...I know, I'm impressed too.)

I had called my dad earlier in the day and he told me he was making mussels for dinner. So I, as any good daughter would, of course, decided that I must make mussels as well. How many times have I cooked mussels? Good question. Answer: Zero. I don't think I've ever even had mussels outside of a restaurant let alone figured out poundage and how exactly one might clean/cook them. It turned out to be quite easy and surprisingly cheap, about $ 3.50 a pound for PEI mussels.

With the cornerstone to my meal established and inspiration coming from every market stall, I finally achieved ultimate Sunday night victory: Chorizo and andouille sausage, mussels, lump crab meat and squid ink fettucine served with homemade marinara sauce and shavings of pecorino romano cheese.

I'm not going to lie, I totally high-fived myself on the metro home. Once completed, I served the piping hot bowl of jet-black pasta with crusty french bread and roasted garlic cloves. It was definitely some of my best work.

Unlike normal posts however, a recipe for this indulgent Eastern Market creation will not follow. The reason for this is one of sad truth. The dish's deliciousness was so unparalleled I shall never attempt a dish of equal greatness ever again. Publishing the equation to its awesomeness would be much too painful for my soul. BUT...I do have a great tip if you find yourself with too much garlic on your hands...read on!

Roasted Garlic Buds with Salted Olive Oil:



1 whole garlic bulb
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Keep the husk on the garlic bulb and cut in half, parallel to counter. Place each half on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle the combs of garlic with 1/2 tablespoons per half. Don't over think it, just put olive oil on them. Add salt and pepper to taste (again, don't over think it). Wrap each half by turning the corners of the foil up to the top of each garlic half. Place in oven for about 20 minutes. Garlic should be buttery soft when foil is opened. Place garlic halves on a plate and allow your guests to scoop out the sweet, garlicky cloves with each bite of bread. Divinity!



No comments:

Post a Comment